I thought I’d share ten of the things that make me happy in summer:
- Small, sweet strawberries with a touch of sugar (I’m slightly betraying an English tradition here, but never cream for me!)
- Pimms with fizzy lemonade, sharp mint, juicy cucumber and plenty of ice.
- Planning my holiday reading list. I think about it very carefully!
- Sparkly flip-flops – I love onomatopoeic words…and sparkles.
- Crisp, light cotton dresses that smell of Fairy fabric softener and sunshine
- The sea in every mood
- I know it is a cliché, but when I walk past a game of cricket on a summer evening, hear the muted applause, see the whites and hear the familiar sound of leather on willow, everything feels so right.
- A picnic with friends in the grounds of a country house (we do this almost every year) – thank you National Trust!
- My guinea pigs jumping around on our lawn, enjoying the freedom and tasty new grass.
- Open-top classic E-type Jaguars in ‘British Racing Green’. I don’t have one, but was there ever a car more made for glamorous sunny days meandering through the countryside?
What things make you happy in summer?